3 DAYS RESIDENCY ON INDIGO PIGMENT EXTRACTION ALONG WITH VAT MAKING AND DYEING
- Free Shipping Within India
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
Tarai Blue's 3-day residency program provides an exclusive chance for participants to observe a live demonstration of the intricate process of extracting indigo pigment from the Indigofera Tinctoria plant along with VAT making & dyeing.
Leaf to Pigment
The primary focus of this workshop is to give an insight on the process of creating indigo dye from scratch. The participants will actively participate in all the stages of the indigo pigment extraction from its leaves.
Participants will have the opportunity to participate & learn about each step of the extraction process, from the initial harvest of the leaves, through to the fermentation process, oxygenation of the liquid, formation of the pigment, and finally the cake forming method.
Pigment to Closet
On top of the primary focus, participants will also learn how to prepare Henna & Fructose Vats. They will be demonstrated how to wash, dye, and finish dyed fabrics. All participants will be provided with the required fabric to experiment with, and they will have the opportunity to use these vats to dye their fabrics.
By the end of the residency, participants will have gained valuable skills in indigo pigment extraction, vat making & dyeing.
In the residency, you will be working alongside our Founder, Kiran Sandhu, who has 25 years of extensive experience in the field of Indigo Extraction. Our expert dyers Shankar Mandal and Rajendra Bisht, as well as the other members behind Tarai Blue, will assist you through all the vat-making and dyeing techniques.
Who can join?
This residency is perfect for those interested in textile arts, indigo farming practices, and the history of natural dyes.
- Interested participants are required to note that activities in the workshop will be required to get into the fields and actively participate in all the stages of Indigo Pigment Extraction.
- With added emphasis on working in the field during the hot & humid weather, Participants should wear clothing that they don't mind getting dirty.
- As the workshop will take place during the summer, so it will be hot, and participants are expected to bring sunglasses, hats, mosquito repellents, comfortable footwears & full coverage clothes.
- Some of the extraction process starts as early as sunrise, so participants need to be in the field early in the morning.